Friday, September 21, 2018

Miles


"Miles"


I wander the streets
Old and weary
With tired and worn out feet
I follow the cracked and dusty paths of many mistakes
And where once traveled machines of lust and bravado
Now only calloused and hardened footfalls tread

The smiles of my youth dared to speed along the highways of life
Unflinching in the eyes of danger
Uncaring of what scars I stacked upon my soul
Or what wounds I slashed into other’s hearts
I was the beast of speed and desire
An engine purring contented with whatever I did

And now with miles between me and that new car smell
I realize I should have paid better care
To the vessel I drive
My body is not as withered as my mind
One that envisioned me as invincible and forever

With duct tape and a small hammer
I struggle to find my way
All the while banging on my motor
Trying to find the road that leads me to peace
A junkyard where I can ease into hibernation
While hiding from all wrong turns I have made

Robert Lloyd


No comments:

Post a Comment