Thursday, October 13, 2016

Echoes

"Echoes"

I can see tomorrow
And I reach for it with outstretched hands
Trying to ignore the memories of yesterday
The ones that call me back to what once was

It is those quiet whispers of happiness and torment
That are so hard to let go of
I can’t stop hearing the “I love you” untruths
Or remembering the touch of her skin

I struggle
Hoping
Somewhere deep down
That this is all a dream
And not just the echoes of experience

But I know better
And prepare myself
To stand against the darkness that still
A thousand last nights later
gathers around my heart

I can still hear her laughing as we drink wine
Barefoot in the front yard
Until the sun was no more
And the rain beat against our skin
And I smile

I will take that
And erase the rest
So that I can find myself
And my new forever

Robert Lloyd

13 October 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment