Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Used Car


"Used Car"

Where the cigarette burn came from
Who knows
I don’t smoke
Probably never will

What the stain is on the back seat
Can’t really tell
Don’t really want to find out

This beast does it job
Point A to point B
With just a little bit of stale air

The wheel shakes too much
And the brakes are tad touchy
But she’s all mine

Just like she was my sister’s before
My father’s before that
And someone’s before that

That someone probably put the stain there
Smoking while swerving
Moving in and out of traffic
Windows open
Ashes flitting back
Landing on some unsuspecting coed

I can see her
Spilling her Strawberry Hill or Pabts
Soaking her lap and eventually the seat

She panics trying to stop the burn
Who knows where that night led
All I know is its there now
I don’t bother hiding it
It gives this old car character
Or it just means I don’t care
Waiting till I get my own new car
One where I can put my own stains
And lost memories

Robert Lloyd
13 July 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment