Thursday, April 7, 2016

Anchor


“Anchor”

Silence
It is deafening
Chasing me to the ends of the night

I outrun it though with p.m. pills, distilled dreams or sheer exhaustion
I can’t allow it to settle on me
For I fear it will destroy me

Sometimes it sneaks up on me
Winding its cold icy pain through my thoughts
Shaking my nerve
And racing my heart

Sometimes it shatters my fake smile
And replaces it with quick salted tears

It’s a pause between songs
A commercial when watching rerun distractions
It’s that moment when I stop talking about whatever
The moment I leave the company of friends

Silence
It is my enemy
Waiting for me to forget that I must busy my mind with insignificance
It is relentless
And I grow weary

I can only avoid it for so long
It is an anchor I cannot escape

Silence
It is deafening
Chasing me to the ends of the night


Robert Lloyd
7 April 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment