Thursday, April 14, 2016

“Demons & Angels”


“Demons & Angels”

They are there
Waiting
Accidental moments of people and silence

As I push through the day to day
From one purposeful task to the next
I forget the demons
The shadows and ghosts that haunt me

Momentary amnesia has never been so enjoyed
I gratefully accomplish the things I hate
I hungrily seek out the next busy portion of time
Wanting it to carry me to some sort of peace and forgetfulness

But when the demons arise
I shudder and retreat into a world of loneliness
And just when I feel I can take no more
The angels take flight
Ready to save me from my own self torture

They come in small ways to rescue and soothe my wounds
A text
A message
A call
Even a small unexpected knock on my door
All of it
Is welcome relief

It is those very angels who give me the strength to push back
To push on
To put the demons beyond the reach of my wandering mind

Robert Lloyd

14 April 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment